International Radiation Protection Association (IRPA)
The primary purpose of IRPA is to provide a medium whereby those engaged in radiation protection activities in all countries may communicate more readily with each other and through this process advance radiation protection in many parts of the world. This includes relevant aspects of such branches of knowledge as science, medicine, engineering, technology and law, to provide for the protection of man and his environment from the hazards caused by radiation, and thereby to facilitate the safe use of medical, scientific, and industrial radiological practices for the benefit of mankind.
It is a major task for IRPA to provide for and support international meetings for the discussion of radiation protection. The International Congresses of IRPA itself are the most important of these meetings. These have been held about every four years since 1966. For all Associate Societies of IRPA and individual members, it is an important objective to attend the next International IRPA Congress. For many other related professions it is an excellent opportunity to communicate on the achievements, scientific knowledge and operational experience in radiation protection.
Further objectives of IRPA are:
- encourage the establishment of radiation protection societies throughout the world as a means of achieving international cooperation
- provide for and support international meetings for the discussions of all aspects of radiation protection
- encourage international publications dedicated to radiation protection
- encourage research and educational opportunities in those scientific and related disciplines which support radiation protection
- encourage the establishment and continuous review of universally acceptable radiation protection standards or recommendations through the international bodies concerned
What is IRPA? Why should I join?
Membership of IRPA for UK radiation protection professionals is through membership of the Society for Radiological Protection (SRP), including the SRP International Member category available to all appropriately qualified members of SRP's partner societies affiliated to IRPA via the Society for Radiological Protection.
You can access IRPA's web site here.
IRPA's 14th International Conference details can be found here.
The UK International members monthly update archive can be found here.